- About CDIAC
Atmospheric CO2 From Continuous Air Samples at La Jolla Pier, California, U.S.A.
C.D. Keeling and T.P. Whorf
Carbon Dioxide Research Group, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, La Jolla, California 92093-0444, U.S.A.
Period of Record
November 1972 - October 1975
An Applied Physics Corporation (APC) nondispersive infrared gas analyzer was used in the field to obtain atmospheric CO2 concentrations, based on continuous data for 6-hour steady periods. Weekly averages were calculated from those daily averages meeting the requirement for at least six hours of continuous sampling. Data are available from most weeks during the 3-year period of record.
La Jolla Pier, California, U.S.A.
32°9' N, 117°3' W
10 m above MSL
The annual range of about 10-12 ppmv, and the shape of the annual wave, are well defined by these weekly data. While an upward trend is evident, three years of data do not show it as well as SIO's monthly averaged data.
- Guenther, P.R., A. Bollenbacher, C.D. Keeling, and D. Moss. 2002 Technical Report: Infrared Analyses of NOAA Primary CO2-in-Air Reference Gas Standards at SIO, 1991-1999.
- Keeling, C.D., T.P. Whorf, M. Wahlen & J. van der Plicht. 1995. Interannual extremes in the rate of rise of atmospheric carbon dioxide since 1980, Nature 375, 666-670.
- Keeling, C.D., R.B. Bacastow, A.F. Carter, S.C. Piper, T.P. Whorf, M. Heimann, W.G. Mook, and H. Roeloffzen. 1989. A three-dimensional model of atmospheric CO2 transport based on observed winds: 1. Analysis of observational data. In D.H. Peterson (ed.), Aspects of Climate Variability in the Pacific and the Western Americas, 165-236, Geophysical Monograph 55, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC.
- Keeling, C.D., S.C. Piper, R.B. Bacastow, M. Wahlen, T.P. Whorf, M. Heimann, and H.A. Meijer. 2001. Exchanges of Atmospheric CO2 and CO13CO2 with the Terrestrial Biosphere and Oceans from 1978 to 2000. I. Global Aspects. SIO Reference No. 01-06 (Revised from SIO Reference No. 00-21), June 2001.
- Keeling, C.D., P.R. Guenther, G. Emanuele III, A. Bollenbacher, and D.J. Moss. 2002. Scripps Reference Gas Calibration System for Carbon Dioxide-in-Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide-in-Air Standards: Revision of 1999 (with Appendix and Addendum). SIO Reference Series No. 01-11.
See Diagram of the constant-volume mercury-column manometer.
CITE AS: Keeling, C.D. and T.P. Whorf. 2004. Atmospheric CO2 concentrations derived from flask air samples at sites in the SIO network. In Trends: A Compendium of Data on Global Change. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, U.S.A.