Instructions for Downloading, Installing, and Running
the IEA/ORAU Long-Term Global Energy-CO2 Model: Personal
Computer Version A84PC (CMP-002/PC)
The following instructions have been developed for users interested in running the model in a
Windows 95 environment. The model was originally developed to run under DOS, so it should
run in a wide variety of environments. If you experience difficulties, please contact
CDIAC for assistance.
- Create a new directory on your hard disk (e.g., C:\CO2MODEL).
- Download all 58 files in the diska (9 files), diskb (14 files), and diskc (35 files) directories
into the new directory, either by clicking the right mouse button, then using the "Save Link As..."
command for each file, or - and much more efficiently - use ftp to download.
- Do not use the Start-Run Windows feature to install and run this model. Rather,
open Windows Explorer (from a desktop icon or from the Start-Programs Windows feature) or
use "My Computer" and navigate to the C:\CO2MODEL directory, to select (i.e., double-click)
the file names or icons specified below to execute them.
- Run the co2instl.exe program. Most users will select the options for hard disk installation,
specify C: as the hard disk, and Color Graphics Adapter. After the installation is complete and
"Finished" appears at the top of the Window, close the window.
- Run the runmodel.exe program. This will permit you to select the various socioeconomic and
technological parameters for the specific run(s) of interest. After the model has run and "Stop -
Program Terminated" appears, and when "Finished" appears at the top of the Window, close the
- Run the viewrun.exe program. This will permit you to view the model output, in either
tabular or graphical format. Hitting the "Enter" will often return you to a menu if none appears on
the screen (e.g., when you are viewing a full-screen graph). After you have viewed the model
output and selected "Quit" from the Output Menu, and when "Finished" appears at the top of the
Window, close the window.
- Run the printrun.exe program, if you desire a complete printout of the model output. After
printing is complete and "Stop - Program Terminated" appears, and when "Finished" appears at
the top of the Window, close the window.